Information blog for Spain and all things Spanish.
Monday, November 10, 2008
A Brief History of Huelva
The most westerly city on the Costa de la Luz, Spain, Huelva was founded by the Phoenicians in around 1000 BC. Originally known as Onoba, Huelva was later controlled by the Romans and became part of the province of Hispania Baetica, the Romans established a mint there and coins were produced bearing the name “Onuba”. In the 15th century the explorer Christopher Columbus sailed from nearby Palos de la Frontera, and the discovery of the Americas brought increased wealth to Huelva, though it was generally overshadowed by the more important city of Seville. Significant mineral deposits in the region led to Huelva becoming the home of the well known Rio Tinto Company, a British mining concern which set up shop in the Odiel estuary and subsequently exported its products throughout the civilised world. Huelva fell into decline after being devastated by the great Lisbon earthquake of 1755, though it has always been a significant port for the region. Located on a stretch of coast known as the Costa de la Luz (Coast of Light), Huelva is experiencing an increase in tourist activity as this less well known piece of coast attracts more and more visitors to its virgin beaches, as yet untouched by mass development. Enjoying a wonderful climate with Huelva weather being somewhat cooler than the neighbouring Costa del Sol, enjoying cooling Atlantic breezes and having a similar climate to Portugal’s Algarve to the south-west. Huelva is located just off the A-45 motoway between the Portuguese border and the city of Seville. Huelva Map.